Sra Gaew Cave and Deepest Freshwater Pool in Asia
I found this Sa Kaeo (Sra Kaew) cave by accident as there are no references to it on the 3 maps of Krabi that I have. I was going from Krabi towards Phangna on the main road that connects the two and I saw a sign for Sra Kaew cave. I thought, why not? It was a short ride off the main road – less than 2km and was a great cave to explore as there were no other tourists and there were multiple levels of caves that I explored for over an hour.
Directions: Sa Keao (Sa Keow) cave is located on the way from Krabi to Phangna off the main road. About 20km out of Krabi will be a sign for Sa Keow or Sra Kaew cave which will be a right hand turn. Take that turn and then go a couple of hundred meters. On the right and up a small hill will be another sign for the cave and also for elephant trekking.Â Follow that road until it turns into dirt and gravel and you’ll find river kayaking and elephant trekking on your left. That’s a great deal right now as they just opened and they were only charging 200 baht to take a kayak up the natural spring for as long as you wanted to go (as long as it took you to get to the end – about 1km.) If you need a ride back, they’ll take you in a truck – no extra charge!
If you don’t turn left for the kayaking continue down the road and on the left will be a sign for Sa Keao (Keow) cave which I highly recommend as a great way to spend an hour or two since you’re already in the area.
There is a pool of water there that just looks like a small shallow pool with a weird blue color to the water. Bet you can’t touch bottom… It’s 200 meters deep and is the deepest pool in ASIA! There are no signs about this fact and very few tourists ever see it or swim in it – but, it’s safe for swimming and a beautiful view as you’re surrounded by jungle and caves high in the limestone hillside.
Here’s another photo of Sra Gaew Pool:
More things to do in Krabi:
- More than 20 Things to Do in Krabi
- Top 10 Things to do in Krabi
- Railay Beach, Krabi
- Wat Thum Sua (Wat Tum Suea) Tiger Cave Temple
- Climbing in Railay beach
- Noppharat Thara Beach, Pier (Ferry to Phuket & Phi Phi)
- Huay To Waterfall in Phanom Bencha National Park
- Sra Kaew (Sa Gaew) Cave, Krabi
- Boua Thong Cave
- Lang Rongrian Cave (Rong Rian)
- Khao Phung Cave (Kow Phung, near Huay To Waterfall)
- Crystal Lagoon (Crystal Pond – Sa Morakot) Hiking and swimming in fresh water
- Great Outdoors Kids Activity: Fishery Dept (BIG fish)
- Hiking Krabi – short 4 km easy climb on paved road
- Hiking Krabi – Khao Phanom Bencha 1,397m high mountain!
- Mangrove Forest Walkway, Krabi town
- Kayaking and Elephant Trekking full day or 1/2 Day Kayaking
- Riding Elephants in Krabi (Elephant trekking)
- Thalen Bay (Ao Thalen)
- Snorkeling in Krabi
- Diving in Krabi
- Diving in Ko Phi Phi
- Krabi Bike Tours in Krabi town offers Trek, Specialized bike rentals by day, week or month at good rates.
Important Phone numbers for your stay in Krabi (Railay and all over Krabi province):
- Emergency number for Krabi Tourists: 1669 from any mobile.
- TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) Regional Office: 07.562.2164
- Krabi Tourist Police: 07.563.7208
- Marine Police: 07.561.2756 and 2757
- Krabi Airport 7 km east of Krabi Town: 07.563.6541 and 6549
- Immigration: 07.561.1097
- Krabi Bus Terminal in Krabi Town: 07.561.1804 and 1184
- Thai Airways International: 07.562.2439 and 2441 and 2442
- Krabi town Hospital: 07.563.1768 and 1769
Copyright ©2013 Written by Vern Lovic.