Where to Find Double Entry Tourist Visas?

I’ve been looking at tourist visas to carry me through for a couple of months.

Apparently all Thailand tourist visas are now free up until March 2011. If you apply at a consulate in Laos, Cambodia, Hong Kong, etc, they are almost always able to give you a single-entry tourist visa good for 60 days and you can extend 30 more days by paying 1,900 THB at your local immigration office – no need to leave the country.

Apparently Vientiane, Laos and Phnom Penh are the only ones giving out free double-entry tourist visas – which give you, in effect, 180 days of stay in Thailand – with one exit of the country and then back in. There was one case of a guy getting it in Savannakhet, Laos too.

I’m contemplating a trip back to the USA. Rather than go to Laos I wondered if it would be smarter just to get  a 2x (double-entry) or even triple-entry visa back there. Surely it must be easier in my home country to get a long-stay visa, right?

I wrote Honolulu’s Thai embassy and asked if they’re giving out 2x or 3x tourist visas.


“Single only.” Micki at the embassy said.

So much for that idea.

The only other place that sometimes gives them is Kota Bharu in Malaysia, but, they seem to only give them out when they are paid-for, and the option disappears when they are free – they go back to giving out single-entry visas.

Why is getting and maintaining visas so difficult in Thailand? Is it worse for those in the USA from other countries?

Author: Vern

I'm an American expat living in Thailand. I like to write informative pieces about life in, living in Thailand, including topics like: Thai People, Thai Culture, Nightlife, Technology, and I have published a lot of photographs, videos, and even books on Thailand that you can find at ThailandeBooks.com. There are many photographs of Thailand here - feel free to share with attribution (a link back to the home page). All written content on this site by Vern Lovic. Contact me at Google+.

8 thoughts on “Where to Find Double Entry Tourist Visas?”

  1. Here’s the scoop on double entry tourist visas to Thailand. I’ve done them all and have read similar experiences from others making the same visa runs. Forget Singapore, KL, Ho Chi Min and Hanoi, and Penang. Without a doubt – Vientiane, Laos is the easiest place to obtain a DE visa, no show money, no show air ticket, don’t need anything, Best way to get there is sleeper in over night train (gets you right to the border), or fly with air asia to Udon Thani. Phnom Penh, Cambodia is hit or miss and very unfriendly staff (but great if you still haven’t taken that trip to see Angkor Wat yet). Kota Bharu, Malaysia is hit or miss as well, very unfriendly staff and a pit hole of a town, but okay if you want to venture to the coast and tie in a trip to Perhentian Islands. The other choice for DE visa is the road less traveled Yangon, Myanmar. But this comes with a catch, you need to show 2 air tickets leaving Thailand. First one after 60 days or 90 with extension and a second show a departure ticket for 180 days. You can simply book refundable tickets that you can then change when you get back, or pre-book your next visa run or trip back home. While there stay at the Yuzana hotel (not the Yuzana gardens) for the best view of the Shwedagon Paya for only $32 US a night. Also tie in a trip up to Bagan, if you are keen on experiencing and seeing truly spectacular temples. All places mentioned above require you to apply in the morning and pick up the next day in the afternoon.

    So that’s it. Hope it’s the answer you’re all looking for , if you have any questions feel free to to reply and I’ll see if I can be of any help.

    Cheers Stoutpuppy

    Hey, not sure if this info is of any use but the Consulate in Portland OR, USA is incredibly helpful with visas. Ask in Los Angeles, they say no, ask in Portland, they often say yes. We are here while our kids are in school and got 12 month multiple entry visas (type O) for the whole family. We had a letter from the school. We had to pay for them. The web sites all said you had to reapply for the longer, multiple entry, visa; but Portland took care of us. The Consulate in Portland has very limited hours but the person you work with, Mary, is very accommodating.

  3. Hi Vern,
    From here in the Philippines it seems hard and expensive to get a visa to remain in Thailand. I had to renew my visa every 59 days here for the first 2 1/2 years. Now I have a visa good for 1 year. After the year I simply renew it for another year. Have a good trip back to the U.S. and please give our best wishes to everyone.
    Lee & Maricar

  4. Compared to Thailand it was a breeze for Golf to get and maintain her U.S. visa. Granted the initial process is longer (it took 5 months to get approved), but once she had it all was good. We had to report to an interview within the first 90 days she was here and then had to report back after 2 years to change from a temporary permanent resident to a permanent permanent resident (I know crazy – I think they do it for the extra revenue it generates) and now she is good for 10 years with no additional reporting necessary. And this is permanent residence, not just a visa. Try getting permanent residence in Thailand. First off you need to have lived there on some visa for 3 years to even apply. And I believe that Thailand still hasn’t processed the permanent residence applications from 2006. So, those that applied in 2006 have lived in Thailand for 7 years without being able to get permanent residence. The Thai government has given some statement about the applications being delayed because of all the governmental changes over the past 4 years, but really how many permanent residence applications can they possibly get each year?

    1. That sounds much easier than what we have to go through. However, if all isn’t right – the penalties are worse in the states for doing things like working without authorization – do we have work permits? Or overstaying your visa in the USA – probably gets you jail time I’d guess.

      I don’t know anything about the permanent residence process in TH…

      1. No jail time, they just deport you the same as they would do in Thailand for overstay. I’m sure there have to be fines as well, but not sure.

        There are work permits in the U.S. for visa holders, but they are less restrictive than the Thai version. One positive about the work permit is that you simply have to apply for it, assuming your visa type allows you to work in the U.S. It is not based on a single job like in Thailand, but is rather permission to work anywhere for anyone.

        So, I guess in some ways it can be more difficult to get the visa to come to the U.S. in the first place, but once here they make it quite a bit easier to stay. One other thing is that those here on a visa or with permanent residence find it much easier to do two important things:
        1. Buy property
        2. Obtain credit to buy said property

Comments are closed.